Address: 451 Mt Eden Rd, Mt Eden, Auckland GoogleMap Phone: (09) 630 7306
Website and Facebook
Location: This is on Mt Eden Rd, near Grange Road. It is next to a video store. Parking around the sidestreets before, after and opposite it. There's also a few parks at the back of the restaurant.
- 2015: 16/7/15 f, 26/3/15 f
- 2014: 18/12/14 f, 8/5/14 f, 27/2 f
- 2013: 21/11 f, 23/4f
- 2012: 20/12f, 8/11f, 16/8, 5/7, 29/4, 19/1
- 2011: 24/11, 1/9, 7/7, 11/5, 2/3
- 2010: 23/12 f, 11/11 f, 16/9 f, 1/8 f, 8/7 f, 23/6 f, 13/5, 1/4 f, 4/2 f
- 2009: 10/12/9, 15/10/9, 23/7/9, 25/6, 2/4, 12/2
- 2008: 11/12, 2/10, 10/7, 29/5, 6/3
- 2007: 27/12, 13/12, 6/9, 3/5, 22/2;
- 2006: 12/12, 30/11, 24/8, 6/4;
- 2005: 15/12, 1/12, 20/10, 28/7/5, 14/7, 30/6, 5/5;
- 2004: 16/11, 23/9, 20/5, 11/3,
- 2003: 6/11, 9/10, 11/9,
- 2002: 26/9/2002
- 21 November 2015: Simla or Simla Mirch is no more. There indian restaurant there has a new name, Namaste Bar & Restaurant, which opened on 18 Nov 2015.
- 16 July 2015: Won't be returning to Simla until we hear it has improved. See notes below.
- 16/7/15 Curry notes: 10 people at curry.
Lin: I also had a few words with the manager when I was sorting out the bill. Firstly we were initially charged for 11 mains instead of 10. That was why I came back to the table to ask who ordered Saagwala.
I found it unbelievable that he talked about not being prepared for hottest curry challenge since I questioned him at length about the rules and mentioned we may be doing it.
I had a chat with him about the bad service. Anyway I pointed out that one person in front of house was inadequate especially since she's was dealing with the phone as well. That onion bhaji was bad, no matter what he said.
For those who weren't there:
- Only one FOH staff and she was new
- On top of our table of 10 there was later on another table of 3 and then 2 other table of 2s who came in.
- She was on the phone taking order or something for a long time, while 2 lots of table for 2 came in. So those ppl had to seat themselves and wait till she finished her call before she could give him the menu.
- In the mean time I was waiting to order another drink for myself.
- Confusion over Simon Green's curry meant it went back into the kitchen 2 or 3 times to clarify what it was.
- Onion Bhaji was soggy and drenched with oil. This means it wasn't cooked with hot enough temp and not drained. I'm pretty sure the one at Symonds Indian is cooked twice. one on lower heat to cook it and another time on higher heat to crisp it.
- The paneer pakora was tasteless.
- She was good in that she did clear out entree plates and give us new plates for mains etc. I think if she one more person to help service would have been ok.
This is probably the 3rd or 4th time we've had a sub par experience there.
Apparently the new owner (who has been owner for less than a year) is trying to sell the business. I don't think we'll come back to this place for some time - at least until I hear there's a new owner who has improved the service.
- Simla changed owners again. New owners took over in Sept 2014.
- 1 Sept 2011:
- ChrisH - Fantastic place – really enjoy their food. My most favourite place for curry!
- Guru Ted completed Hottest Indian Curry challenge in under 3 mins. He ate his curry without rice or naan. After completing the challenge, he ordered a naan. Guru Ted's review
- Carol W - Nice Tikka Masala hot source
- Change of ownership
- Simla Indian Cafe in Mt Eden changed owners on 16 June 2011. Their new owners were given 3 months to change names. New name is now "Simla Mirch Indian Restaurant". Started using it mid oct 2011.
- Previous owners were Meghna + Manish Lal. They currently have Simla in Birkdale. old website old facebook
- Meghna + Manish Lal took over from previous owners a few years ago. definitely different from the owner when we first visited Simla.
- 1 Aug 2010 Hottest curry challenge f. Partipants Mark D, Vik O, Simon L + Morgan A. Youtube
- 5 May 2005
- Arkady - Simply the best place to eat curry. Very competitive pricing and whoopass butter chicken. Definately going there again.
- Zach - Quite nice. Good vegetarian menu. Fast, friendly service. _b
- Liz (wishes) - What Arkady says. This place is simply fantastic for food. I think they cost a little more than some of the other places but its well worth it!