Saravana's South Indian and Sri Lankan Restaurant
Saravana's is closed
Closed late 2009. Location is now Gate of India. Same Phone no
Address: 591 Sandringham Road, Sandringham, Auckland Ph: 09 846 5823
Dineout Review | Menu, Map and photos | Wises Map
Last Visit: 19/3/9
Comments: Lin on 19/3/9:
- First indian restaurant we've been to that has Coke Zero.
- Cheapest curry. $17.50 pp. This is after a 20% discount from eatout
- Onion Bhaji - crispy and generous portion. Nice tamarind sauce. Not watery.
- Curries were good. Had a taste of Jaffna Chicken, Chettinadu Chicken and Devilled chicken.
- Venue is noisy due to lack of noise dampening (lino floor + wooden wall).
- Bad Service. There was only one person in front of house. Our mains served last despite the fact we ordered early. ie ordered mains by 8 but not served till after 9:40pm. Other tables who came in after us, including one after 8:30pm had their food first. No apologies or offer of snack to alleviate wait. Didn't bother checking on if we needed drinks etc unless we hailed the waiter.
Suz on 19/03/2009
I pretty much agree with what Lin says, Up and until I took the first bite of curry, I would have been quite happy to veto this place. The curry however was really good and the flavour extended all the way to the centre of the chicken.
The bill also was low and I'd be prepared to give this place a second try.
Note that this place wasn't licensed so no beer.
- Food and service good again and price cheap ( around $20 ) but cockroaches in the dining area put us off a lot. I don't think we'll be back for a while.