Address: 31 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby, Auckland
Phone: (09) 378 2122
Web | Map | Dineout | NZ Herald review
Previous visits: 28 Oct 2010, 7 Sept 2006, 8 Sept 2005, 10 Mar 2005, 28 Jul 2003
- 28 Jul 2003: We visited Saffron a couple of years ago on 28 July 03. Food was pretty good IMO - onion bhaji was spiced, coloured and shaped into crunchy quenelles instead of the usual rings. Consensus was that the curry was very mild in terms of heat. The owner/chef/maitre'd person said afterwards that we should have asked for "indian hot". Worth a revisit with this in mind. IIRC, they served rice in small pots (maybe 1 cup or smaller portions) and didn't really keep up with demand.
- 10 Mar 2005 visit:
- Liz: Food was superb. Don't think I've had it that good in ages. The onion bhaji was different but tasted great still. Service was brilliant, place was clean (including the toilets!) and I would definately give this place another go. Also cost was cheaper than most other places.
- Zach: No complaints here. Pleasant service, interesting entrees, hot hot mains. _b
- RKD: I turned up waaaaay too late to eat anything but the place looked sharp, clean and the curry smell was divine. Being Ponsonby the parking is worse than trying to find gold in IRD HQ.
- 8 Sept 2005 visit:
- Zach: Ok, so they forgot my main. And mixed up some of the other orders. But the dosa & dhal were very good. Happy to return :)
- Simon: Good food let down by the service. They lost Zach's main and several others got the wrong spicyness. I ordered a Hot and got served a "Indian Hot" that would barely be a medium, It was however very good. They seemed really sorry about Zach's order though and gave us some stuff to compensate. Worth another try.
- Lin: Very reasonably priced. Seems a bit confused sometimes as to who ordered what.
- 7 Sept 2006
- Simon: Not too bad, we had a good number of people so the usual problems with large number. The food was pretty good (although the entrees arn't the best). They menu even offered to make Indian dishes that weren't on the menu. Mains were great, nice and hot with little rices dishes each. There was some confusion over naan orders and the drinks were really slow in coming out at times but otherwise not too bad. They gave us some icecream as a free desert at the end. Coffee afterwards was at Logos which served me a nice (unmicrowaved) cake.
- Lin: Took a long time to deliver drinks when ordered. This is apparently because they had to wash glasses every time. No one's mains were forgotton this time and they seemed to get it right in terms of who ordered what.
- 28 Oct 2010
- Suz: I found the usual inverse rule of food/loos applied. The loos were really awful. Service was good. No heat to my medium curry at all. Would be happy to return. source
- Lin: Food was ok. Service wasn't too bad, had to look for staff though at a couple of times. 10 attended tonight. Simon L, Mark D, Lin N, Vik O, Suz O, Kate O, Simon P, Stephen S, Martin S, and Chris H. $299.50 Total. $29.95 pp. No post curry coffee tonight.