- Address: 151 Parnell Rd, Parnell, Auckland GoogleMap
- Phone: (09) 377 9090
- Web, Facebook
- Outdoor tables: Due to weather, they don't make any bookings on the outdoor tables. So it is first come first served.
- BYO Wine only. Corkage $5pp
- One bill per table but can split paying equally. Ask when booking to ensure.
- Any booking of 12 or more ppl must order from set menu. See Group booking info on website for more info.
- Reviews: DineOut, MenuMania, Localist, TripAdvisor, Google+, View Auckland, Yelp, Zomato, Four Square
- 8 August 2013 Megan Singleton for Blogger at Large.
- 10 Jan 2010 Foodie Doodie
- 26 Jul 2003 NZ Herald Review by Elenor Black for canvas
- Previous Visits: 24/2/5 or 16/1/3
- Comments/Notes below were made before June 2007.
- Had a takeaway Navrattan Korma here via e-mmediate/foodrunner. Very nice - they used pineapple as a key ingredient, which, while unusual, may be a sign of some creativity in the kitchen! (unattributed but prob from one of the vegetarians like Zach - lin
- Talios - I remember heading to Oh Calcutta a few years back when a bunch of #nz'ers were up, the meal was great, however my curry ( duck ) and fishies curry ( fish ) arrived around 20 minutes after every one elses. All in all, a great meal and great venue. (I remember vaguely remember this dinner too - lin)
- Simon - Wasn't too bad, a little on the expensive side since it's aiming to be a little up market from the places we usually go to. Food was good but I certainly wouldn't call it the best in town by any means. (Referring to visit on 24/2/5 or 16/1/3)
- Online Booking (since time2dine is no longer operating - archived it here Comment refers to 24/2/5 booking) You can book via their website or via time2dine. My booking via time2dine was confirmed immediate by a call from Anand within a couple of minutes of submitting it.
- Where: Parnell Rd opposite Burgerfuel and Glengarry's, and next to St Tropez and Movenpick Ice-cream parlour.
Notes wrt unsuitability as TNC venue
I don't dispute that it has had a good reputation for many many years. We have visited twice on 24/2/5 and 16/1/3. I certainly remember it as far back as mid - late 90s before Simon + I were together. It was a favourite of a colleague back then. It has been and continues to be listed in many lists + gets good reviews including Metro, NZ Herald, Cuisine etc.
Anyway it was high time we revisited this place and so I did some research today and here's the results.
- Wiki page has been updated with the latest links to various review sites
- I rang them a couple of times to discuss bookings etc.
- They will allow us to pay separately. Initially she was a bit hesitant until I assures her we would be splitting it equally. They will only have one bill per table. There was a mention of "it depends on how busy it is".
- If we visit them as a group, we have to be less than 12 or we will be required to order from the group menu. If we wish to order a-la-carte and are 12, we will be asked to start early.
- I had a look at their group menu page and found that their big groups are also required to start early anyway.
- Here's the group menu: http://www.ohcalcutta.co.nz/groups-menu/ Set menu starts from $40pp without drinks. It means we don't have
- I think we can visit this when we know we aren't likely to be as big as 12 ppl.
- Yes there's other ways of dealing with this like making 2 bookings of 6 etc.
- Also when we book this place, we should be certain of numbers. I've no doubt it is busy because it is so popular.
Link to dicussion suggesting Oh Calcutta